Thursday 15 October 2015

First Pom-Pom Of The Season


 
We'd been warned . Winter was on its way . Even Monday's paper got in the mood  .


Bushes full of berries , making even the car park look festive . Skeins of geese were arriving already . Siberian swans had arrived ... not just one as in England , but dozens ! El Nìño was doing its thing . Somewhere in the Amazon a butterfly fluttered . But this morning it was confirmed , winter was here ... I saw a bobble hat cycling up to the college.

It's time to stop stabbing celery and carrot sticks into pots of hummus and living on cottage cheese ... it's braised beef , baked apples and coconut muffin time again . 

And it was definitely time to stop padding about the flat in bare feet . The Rich in Years slippers were nearly ready . I'd assembled and blanket stitched the first one ... time to try it on . TahDah !



They lived up to their name ... in the '50s the average woman of pensionable age probably did have a bunion or two . The slippers are the oddest shape !! Tight round the toe and hugely wide round the big toe joints , loose enough round the ankles to allow for swelling and breathtakingly warm  , they are Tardis-like in their ability to whisk one back to the end of sweet rationing . Anyway ,  they didn't get their promised pom-poms ... instead I pimped this one up with a glittery bow and gave thanks that I never have to blanket stitch another thing as long as I live .

P.S. I didn't go and have a free breakfast in my pyjamas , I'm afraid . I couldn't quite face it , wearing a bright green nightie with Christmas Pud on the front , as I was



( MD is , for some reason,  responsible for my nightwear and takes a fiendish delight in finding the least flattering . ) .
But anyway , apparently only those under eight wore their pyjamas ... almost exclusively Frozen or Superman-ish .... and Disney-pink's not really my colour .

3 comments:

molly said...


I could certainly go for some braised beef,baked apples and coconut muffins, not that there's anything wrong with hummus and crunchy veggies........

It's even getting "cool" here which makes my daughter snort as everything is relative.
Probably a wise decision not sallying forth in the PJs, but I'm feeling jealous of those slippers! They'd be just the ticket for the ice cubes that live below my ankles.

Annie Cholewa said...

They certainly look jolly cozy. I never wear slippers, just extra thick socks, even when it's freezing out. Which reminds me, I need to knit some more, socks that is.

Oatmeal Cookie Recipes said...

Great sharee