Thursday 12 February 2015

Grateful For Any Mercies At All , However Small




The weeks trickle by . It's February , when every day seems to last thirtysix hours and all desire for hearty soup has waned , everything is brown and I can't imagine ever taking off my polo neck jumpers again ... do they make polo neck nighties ?

Still , there is some consolation in the fact that almost anything at all can cheer one up instantly . As I came home the other day in the drizzle , a shambling  , redfaced drunk bellowed a compliment after me  , "Woahhh ! Lekkerrrrrrrrrrrr ding !! " and then fell flat in a heap , burbling appreciatively , making me grin all the way home .
I survived a talk about town development in Leeuwarden , while sitting behind a middle-aged man who seemed to subscribe to the theory that baldness could be staved off by vigorous and constant scalp massage  ....  and was rewarded by a short video about local events in the '50s . The clothes ! The hats !
I had lunch with two dear friends who always amuse and can window shop to perfection .



It snowed and I've got a photo to prove it , though it was shortlived and no one needed these .



Celebrity Bake Off has begun and , last night , Joanna Lumley was at her giraffe-like best .
I seem to be able to do press ups , much to my astonishment ( and no small pride ) .
And best of all , I bought and used a C.D. player cleaning disc and Lorraine Hunt is restored to her full glory this afternoon .

8 comments:

English Rider said...

Wow! That's an impressive list of positive appreciations and smile-inducing things. He called you Yummy! if I remember my faint residue of Dutch correctly?

materfamilias said...

Perhaps that's what I need to lift my February blues, then. A drunk calling me "Yummy" in slurred Dutch! 'cause honestly, I read your whole post, and there are all sorts of happy-making things in it, but that's the image that really sticks. Although the push-ups are impressive as well. Go you! ;-)

colleen said...

No wonder you're being noticed in the street - the power of the press-up is clearly shining through.

Ah, me. If only chattaranga would come a little more easily to me...

Liz Hinds said...

they don't sound like small mercies to me: they sound brilliant!

I like to think that a man has to be drunk before he can truly be honest. So ker-ching!

rachel said...

Just hold onto the idea, however unlikely it seems today, that Spring will eventually come......

Pondside said...

What a good read on a freezing prairie afternoon!

Maria said...

I think it is great that Winter brings you such appreciation of things. It seems to have the opposite effect on me. I just go further and further down in my doldrums.....

However...some television shows can pull me up: The Walking Dead. The Americans. The Vikings....

love those cupcakes said...

'Sall good! As for polo necked nightwear, what a fab idea.